Thursday, January 22, 2009

Attentively going to school


Mehdi Dehghan (Amirkabir University of Technology, Iran) was a graduate student at the Department of Applied Mathematics in the University of Adelaide in the early 1990s. I met him in 1992 during my visit to Adelaide. He was working on the finite-difference method for the numerical solution of the two-dimensional diffusion equation with non-local conditions. Some years later in 1997, when he was in the organizing committee of the 29th Iranian Mathematics Conference, he proposed to the Iranian Mathematical Society to invite me as one of the seven international speakers at the conference. His proposal was accepted and I found myself flying to Tehran in the spring of 1998. In Tehran, we were accommodated at the Enghelab Hotel and had our "kebab" dinner everyday in a rotating restaurant on top of the hotel! If I remembered correctly, I was told that the revolution that toppled the Shah government in the 1970s started at the street in front of the hotel and the word "enghelab" meant "revolution".To my surprise, I saw many Chinese and eastern European guests at the hotel. I was later informed the Chinese were mainly visiting technicians and engineers as Iran bought its airplanes from China. Visit to some shops revealed that Iran imported most of its electronic goods from Malaysia. The Iranians told me that they dubbed Malaysia the "Land of Electronics" (another surprise for me). After my visit to Tehran, I started looking at development of various boundary element procedures for solving the diffusion equation subject to non-classical conditions, such as specification of mass. [Back to List] Jan

Lol, getting to read this from the link of this semester linear algebra professor's homepage.There are plenty names in the page I view but somehow I just stop at Mehdi and read the entire paragraph. It's a big surprise even to a Malaysian as what it's highlighted. Maybe I was not so concerned about what my motherland doing so far.

A gap in MP2005 tutorial class.
It's tutorial 2, my first tutorial for fluid though, and the tutor is a nice guy in way of teaching or communicating with students. He proceed to every students sitting behind and asked whether we had done our tutorial while having student cleaning the whiteboard. "Better catch up harr.." Well, my name was miss out in the attendance list and so I added in at the page end. As one of the new students in the list, I was asked on a fluid question, mainly about the horizontal force on question 4. Zero, as what I had answered but the gap was not about the fluid question but the question he asked later on. "You are from other tutorial group?" "No, I have already registered it before..." "Then what happen the first column is empty harr?" "Because I didn't come last week." Okay, not a joke but people in the class just break into laughter. "Well, a brilliant answer for a stupid question...bla bla"

Today was another sozai day for me. Going to south spine from north spine just to have the fundamental of management tutorial. However, the class was empty and light off at the time I reached. Swt, is it I reach earlier or what? Took out the time table... Tutorial for business management only falls on week 2,4,6,8,10,12. Oh yea, I can go SRC for a so called IG bball training but instead of proper training, we just playing around like 4v4. Should have gone for a swim. Meanwhile, sorry for FFK my business management partner. Really can fall asleep after adding him in msn and waiting for like 5 minutes? GG.

Back to sleep.

No comments: